Iran claims control of Strait of Hormuz

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said on Wednesday, 4 March, that they had gained “complete control” of the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route for oil and gas.

The Guards warned that vessels attempting to pass through the strait could face missile or drone attacks. United States President Donald Trump said the US Navy was prepared to escort oil tankers through the strategic Gulf shipping corridor if necessary.

Iranian forces also claimed to have launched more than 40 missiles at United States and Israeli targets in a new wave of strikes. In Israel, air raid sirens sounded across several regions, including Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, after missiles were launched from Iran. Israeli authorities said their defence systems intercepted the threats, with no immediate reports of casualties.

Meanwhile, Israel announced it had launched a “broad wave of strikes” against targets in Iran, including security command centres in Tehran. United States military officials said nearly 2,000 targets had been struck in Iran since the start of the campaign.

Tensions have also spread across the wider region. Israeli strikes were reported in Beirut and other parts of Lebanon, while Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted cruise missiles and drones targeting its territory. Qatar reported dismantling two alleged Iranian spy cells, and Sri Lanka said an Iranian naval frigate was sinking near its territorial waters.

Iran will begin a three-day funeral for Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed in the initial United States and Israeli strikes.

The escalating confrontation has shaken global markets, with Gulf stock exchanges falling sharply and oil prices rising amid fears of disruption to energy supplies.

Source: commonspace.eu with Agence France-Presse

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Rescuers in Ukraine are continuing their search for survivors in the wreckage of a big shopping centre hit by Russia on Friday. Sixteen people were killed and 130 injured when two drones hit the busy centre in Kryvyi Rih in quick succession in what is known as a double-tap strike. Four people are still missing. The search and rescue operation could last for another two days. President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the "cynical and despicable" attack in which the second drone targeted emergency workers. The sides exchanged more fire overnight, with Ukrainian attacks said to have killed at least four people in Russia, including two children, and three people reported dead by Kyiv as a result of Russian strikes. The death toll from Friday's attack reached 16 after another body was retrieved from the rubble overnight, said Dnipropetrovsk regional head Oleksandr Hanzha. "We're doing everything possible to speed up... the search and rescue operation," he told Ukrainian TV on Saturday morning. (click image tio read more)

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)