OSCE monitors go to Karabakh frontline

OSCE observers went on a monitoring mission to the conflict zone between Armenia and Azerbaijan on Wednesday, agreed in advance with the authorities of the self-declared Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.

The mission went ahead on schedule, with no ceasefire violations reported. Observations took place along both sides of the Line of Contact, near Talish village in the Martakert region.

According to Azerbaijani media, the OSCE representatives also visited a site near the village of Eskipara, which Armenian troops hit with a banned phosphorus artillery shell at the end of April. 

Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk, personal representative of the OSCE chairperson-in office, took part in the monitoring mission alongside several other OSCE officials.

Bako Sahakyan, president of the self-declared NKR, received Kasprzyk in Stepanakert on Tuesday. The NKR authorities said they were willing to help the OSCE in their mission and keep observers safe.

Although OSCE observers did not see any violations, both Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other of breaking the April 5 ceasefire agreement overnight, as they have been doing continuously over the last month.

The Nagorno-Karabakh Republic’s military accused Azerbaijan of firing mortars and anti-tank grenades overnight. At the same time, Azerbaijani troops claimed Armenian forces opened fire at them overnight, using machine guns and mortars.

SOURCE: commonspace.eu and agencies

PHOTO: OSCE headquarters

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Andrii Parubiy shot dead in Lviv - a "shot fired at the heart of Ukraine"

Andrii Parubiy shot dead in Lviv - a "shot fired at the heart of Ukraine"

The former speaker of the Ukrainian parliament, Andriy Parubiy, has been shot dead in the Ukrainian western city of Lviv. Police received reports of the shooting in the Frankivsk district of Lviv, western Ukraine, at around midday local time on Saturday. Unconfirmed reports suggest he was shot multiple times by a gunman dressed as a courier on an e-bike. Parubiy, 54, rose to prominence during Ukraine's Euromaidan movement, which advocated for closer ties with the EU and brought down pro-Russian former President Viktor Yanukovych in 2014. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described it as a "terrible murder" and offered his condolences. Parubiy was a pivotal figure in the Euromaidan movement, which began after the Ukrainian government refused to sign an association agreement with the EU in late 2013. He later became secretary of Ukraine's National Security and Defence Council, during a period when pro-Russian separatists began fighting in eastern Ukraine - and when Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the annexation of the Crimea peninsula. Following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Parubiy joined Ukraine's territorial defence. Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha described Parubiy as "a patriot and statesman who made an enormous contribution to the defence of Ukraine's freedom, independence and sovereignty". Sybiha added: "He was a man who rightfully belongs in the history books." Former President Petro Poroshenko said the killing of Parubiy was "a shot fired at the heart of Ukraine".

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Andrii Parubiy shot dead in Lviv - a "shot fired at the heart of Ukraine"

Andrii Parubiy shot dead in Lviv - a "shot fired at the heart of Ukraine"

The former speaker of the Ukrainian parliament, Andriy Parubiy, has been shot dead in the Ukrainian western city of Lviv. Police received reports of the shooting in the Frankivsk district of Lviv, western Ukraine, at around midday local time on Saturday. Unconfirmed reports suggest he was shot multiple times by a gunman dressed as a courier on an e-bike. Parubiy, 54, rose to prominence during Ukraine's Euromaidan movement, which advocated for closer ties with the EU and brought down pro-Russian former President Viktor Yanukovych in 2014. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described it as a "terrible murder" and offered his condolences. Parubiy was a pivotal figure in the Euromaidan movement, which began after the Ukrainian government refused to sign an association agreement with the EU in late 2013. He later became secretary of Ukraine's National Security and Defence Council, during a period when pro-Russian separatists began fighting in eastern Ukraine - and when Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the annexation of the Crimea peninsula. Following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Parubiy joined Ukraine's territorial defence. Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha described Parubiy as "a patriot and statesman who made an enormous contribution to the defence of Ukraine's freedom, independence and sovereignty". Sybiha added: "He was a man who rightfully belongs in the history books." Former President Petro Poroshenko said the killing of Parubiy was "a shot fired at the heart of Ukraine".