Second Ukrainian Suspect Arrested in Nord Stream Sabotage Investigation

German authorities have announced on Thursday (August 19) the arrest of a second Ukrainian national in connection with the September 2022 sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines. The suspect, identified by prosecutors as Vladimir Z., was detained in the Croatian city of Pula on Wednesday under a European arrest warrant.

Germany’s Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office said the man was a trained scuba diver and allegedly belonged to a group that placed explosive devices on the Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 pipelines near the Danish island of Bornholm. Prosecutors said he participated in the dives required for the operation and is suspected of causing explosions, anti-constitutional sabotage and damage to infrastructure.

The arrest marks the latest development in Germany’s investigation into the blasts of 26 September 2022, which damaged three of the four pipelines. The Nord Stream system had been built to transport Russian natural gas to Germany through the Baltic Sea. Nord Stream 1 had been Russia’s main gas supply route to Germany before Moscow halted deliveries in August 2022, while Nord Stream 2 had never entered service after Germany suspended its certification shortly before Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. 

 According to German prosecutors, the alleged objective of the attack was to permanently disrupt gas supplies and prevent Russia from using energy revenues to support its war in Ukraine. German authorities have also argued that the case falls within their jurisdiction because the pipelines terminate in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and their destruction affected Germany’s energy security and internal safety.

Vladimir Z. had previously been arrested in Poland in 2025, but Polish authorities declined to extradite him to Germany, and he was released. His lawyer said that the earlier ruling applied only within Poland. Croatian authorities will now determine whether he will be extradited to Germany, where he is expected to appear before a judge at the Federal Court of Justice.

The suspect is alleged to have been part of a group associated with Serhii K., a former Ukrainian army officer who German prosecutors charged in connection with the same attack. Investigators allege that the group travelled from the German port of Rostock on a rented sailing yacht before carrying out the operation.

Serhii K. was arrested in Italy in August 2025 and extradited to Germany in November. He has denied involvement, while Ukrainian authorities have said they lacked sufficient information to respond in detail to the German allegations.

Source: commonspace.eu with CTV News (Toronto) and Sky News (London).

 

Related articles

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)