Macron denounces Malian PM's allegations of an “abandonment” by Paris as “shameful”

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, reacted on Thursday (30 September) to the “abandonment” allegations made by Mali's prime minister, Choguel Kokalla Maïga, at the UN last Sunday, describing them as "shameful". Maïga had accused France of abandoning Mali "in full flight" with its decision to withdraw the Barkhane force.

“I was shocked. These comments are unacceptable [...]. While yesterday we presided over the national tribute to Sergeant Maxime Blasco [killed in action in Mali last week], this is unacceptable. It is a shame and it dishonours what is not even a government,” Macron told an RFI correspondent on the sidelines of the closing dinner of the Africa2020 Season held at the Élysée Palace.

Paris had already condemned Maïga's comments earlier this week. The French minister of armed forces, Florence Parly, had denounced the accusations as being "unacceptable" and "indecent", which amounted to “wiping ones feet on the blood of French soldiers”.

“I know that the Malians do not think that”, estimated Macron, stressing that “the legitimacy of the current government”, resulting from two coups d'état since 2020, was “democratically null”.

“We are demanding because we are committed, we want to fight against terrorism and for security,” he added. “We are here because the Malian state asked for it. Without France, Mali would be in the hands of terrorists,” he claimed.

Macron reiterated his expectations for the leaders of the junta “to respect their commitments: that in February there will be elections, that they stop putting political opponents in prison, that they do their job, that is to say the return of the State, which they have not done for months.”

The president assured that France would continue its development projects in Mali alongside the international community. But “this work cannot be done if the leaders do not take their responsibilities”, he warned.

“It is not a fatality” he continued, giving the example of Niger, a country neighbouring Mali, where “courageous” presidents are “doing their best, fighting for their people, education, health… They are doing an admirable job.”

 

source: commonspace.eu with RFI (Paris) and agencies.
photo: Emmanuel Macron at the Élysée Palace during the Africa2020 Season on Thursday, 30 September; @EmmanuelMacron (Twitter).

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Ramadan begins

Ramadan begins

The Muslim Holy month of Ramadan started on Wednesday, 18 February. For Muslims across the world, the holy month of Ramadan is a time for religious reflection, increased worship, charity and community. Observant Muslims abstain from all forms of food and drink between the hours of dawn and sunset whilst trying to reconnect with their faith. Islam adheres to the lunar calendar. This means that the month of Ramadan begins when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted  The lunar calendar is 10 to 11 days shorter than the modern 365-day Gregorian calendar, which is based on the Earth's rotation around the sun. This difference means Ramadan begins on a different day each year.  In Muslim-majority countries, dedicated state committees check for the crescent moon and officially announce the start of Ramadan. Saudi Arabia, Qatar and several other Gulf countries claimed to have sighted the crescent moon on 17 February and declared 18 February as the first day of Ramadan. However, Egypt, Turkey Jordan and some other countries said the crescent moon was not sighted and therefore announced that Ramadan would begin on Thursday 19 February. This means that the month of fasting will likely end on either Wednesday 18 March or Thursday 19 March, as there are either 29 or 30 days in a lunar month. As a result, Eid al-Fitr, the festival of breaking the fast, is likely to fall on either Thursday 19 March or Friday 20 March. Eid al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan. Muslims tend to celebrate Eid with a small breakfast and give to charity before Eid prayers in congregation.

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)