South Ossetia appoints new Prime Minister

South Ossetia has appointed Dzambolat Tadtaev as Prime Minister despite a boycott by the opposition United Ossetia party, which accuses the authorities of responsibility for the territory’s ongoing socio-economic crisis.

United Ossetia refused to back the nomination put forward by President Alan Gagloev. The party’s parliamentary faction, led by its Chairman Atsamaz Bibilov, walked out of the session in protest. Bibilov said both President Gagloev and Tadtaev had failed to implement the 2022–2025 socio-economic development programme, questioning Tadtaev’s professional competence and moral authority to lead the government.

On 21 January, President Gagloev dissolved the previous government, describing the decision as a “routine situation”, amid allegations of financial mismanagement. Despite the failure of the previous programme, the authorities announced a new development plan for 2026–2030, which, as before, is to be financed by Russia.

Despite the opposition’s protest, lawmakers from the pro-presidential Nykhas party, the People’s Party, and the Communist Party of South Ossetia voted in favour of Tadtaev’s candidacy. The President signed the decree appointing Tadtaev later the same day.

Local analysts say the open challenge by United Ossetia signals growing political tensions in the territory, warning that further allegations of corruption could emerge as the next presidential election approaches.

“The opposition had long shown restraint and avoided dramatic moves to preserve stability, but the authorities interpreted this as weakness and the party’s inability to act. Last year, United Ossetia’s bank accounts were frozen on what it calls fabricated grounds, and pressure has been put on its members — all against the backdrop of Gagloev’s weak and ineffective governance.

Tadtaev’s appointment suggests an attempt by the current ruling team to hold on to power and cover up traces of possible corruption,” the analyst said.

Source: commonspace.eu with JAMNews

Related articles

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)