News.az: EU expects promotion on associative agreement with Azerbaijan

The EU commissioner for European good neighborhood policy Stephan Fule expects achievements in the negotiations on the associative agreement with Azerbaijan at the Eastern Partnership summit in Lithuania last autumn.

“We hope to sign an associative agreement with Ukraine in Vilnius in November and also complete talks with Georgia, Moldova and Armenia and make a step forward in our talks with Azerbaijan”, the EU news service quotes Fule as saying at the meeting in Brussels.

The high-level meeting on discussion of the prospects of the Eastern partnership program was held before. It was attended by representatives of the EU and big international and European financial institutions.

The participants discussed the EU interaction with the Eastern partnership countries in anticipation of the summit in Vilnius, touched upon such important spheres, as energy, transport, as well as issues of regulation and business environment. Meanwhile, the reforms in Ukraine were a focus of discussions.

The association agreement, just like the talks on visa regime and readmission, are part of the EU Eastern Partnership program. The association agreement envisages economic preferences for Azerbaijan as a EU partner-country.

The negotiations are held in four main directions: policy, economy, human rights and democracy, as well as trade. In May of the last year the head of the EU delegation in Baku Roland Kobia announced that most part of the negotiation points has been coordinated.

In particular, the parties managed to agree on the sphere of education and youth policy, culture, transport, protection of consumers, tourism, science and technologies, economic dialogue, taxes and statistics, state finance management and environment.

The delay in the negotiation process is related to the fact that Azerbaijan is not the WTO member. It is one of the main requirements for the further progress of the trade and economic cooperation with EU, including creation of the comprehensive free trade area.

News.Az

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Sanction Israel: More than one hundred former British and French diplomats make public call for safeguarding the rule of law

Sanction Israel: More than one hundred former British and French diplomats make public call for safeguarding the rule of law

In response to Israel's policy of occupation and destruction, around one hundred former representatives of France and the United Kingdom urge their governments to act through a series of sanctions aimed at safeguarding the rule of law. A coalition of 102 former French and British diplomats is calling on their countries to jointly sanction Israel, warning in an open letter that Israeli policy in occupied Palestinian territory threatens to permanently erase the possibility of a Palestinian state. France and the United Kingdom “must act together to uphold international law in Palestine”, said the letter published on Saturday by French outlet Le Monde. It urged the two governments to push for “equal rights for Israelis and Palestinians”. The signatories include former British ambassadors to the United Nations, Jeremy Greenstock and Emyr Jones Parry, and former French Middle East directors, Yves Aubin de la Messuziere and Denis Bauchard, drawing on decades of diplomatic postings across the region. “Palestinian house demolitions and rampant settler violence – with the connivance of the Israeli army and police – amount to ethnic cleansing,” said the letter. “The world no longer sees Israel as a genuine democracy,” it added. Such language, said Nicholas Hopton, a former UK ambassador to Iran, Qatar and Yemen and one of the signatories, was not invented by the diplomats themselves. “The words are not our own,” he told Al Jazeera. “They are taken from the international legal bodies, the UN, those who have been observing from a neutral position and with expertise.” (click image to read in full)
Editor's choice
News
Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Rescuers in Ukraine are continuing their search for survivors in the wreckage of a big shopping centre hit by Russia on Friday. Sixteen people were killed and 130 injured when two drones hit the busy centre in Kryvyi Rih in quick succession in what is known as a double-tap strike. Four people are still missing. The search and rescue operation could last for another two days. President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the "cynical and despicable" attack in which the second drone targeted emergency workers. The sides exchanged more fire overnight, with Ukrainian attacks said to have killed at least four people in Russia, including two children, and three people reported dead by Kyiv as a result of Russian strikes. The death toll from Friday's attack reached 16 after another body was retrieved from the rubble overnight, said Dnipropetrovsk regional head Oleksandr Hanzha. "We're doing everything possible to speed up... the search and rescue operation," he told Ukrainian TV on Saturday morning. (click image tio read more)

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)