Ukrainian alarm over Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant grows, Zelensky warns of provocation

Alarm is growing in Ukraine over the fate of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (NPP), which has been under Russian control since the opening weeks of Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February last year.

In his nightly address on Tuesday (4 July), Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky warned that Russia is "preparing a provocation" at the Zaporizhzhia NPP. Citing Ukrainian intelligence, President Zelensky said that Russia has placed explosives on the roof of two power units, raising concerns that Russia could deliberately damage the power plant under their control to hinder Ukraine's ongoing counteroffensive.

The General Staff of Ukraine's Armed Forces also reported that Russia is preparing a strike "in the near future", adding that "their detonation should not damage power units but may create a picture of shelling by Ukraine's military".

Zelensky also said that "now the whole world must realise that common security depends entirely on global attention to the occupiers' actions at the station".

Earlier on 20 June, citing intelligence, President Zelensky also warned that Russia was considering attacking the NPP through radiation leakage.

Power plant disconnected from grid, Ukrainian preparation in case of attack

The power plant, Europe's biggest nuclear power plant and located in the occupied city of Enerhodar, has been experiecing major off-site power problems since the start of Russia's full scale invasion. Overnight on 4 July, the powerplant again lost connection to its main power line.

Due to months of Russian attacks on Ukraine's critical energy infrastructure, the plant has been disconnected from the grid several times and has been forced to resort to diesel generators.

Meanwhile, as fears of an attack on the power plant grow, the three regions in the vicinity of the plant - Zaporizhzhia, Dnipropetrovsk, and Kherson - have launched large-scale simulation exercises to prepare.   

Last Friday (30 June), the Ukrainian Interior Ministry reported that bearly 8,000 people were involved in the simulation exercises, including local authorities, law enforcement officers, volunteers, doctors, and representatives of all services of state authorities.

"We understand that the enemy-occupied Zaporizhzhia NPP currently represents a huge danger in terms of manpower, especially for the citizens of Dnipropetrovsk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions," said Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko. "But we are working out all possible scenarios, for example, that the radioactive cloud can go further, to any region of our country."

source: commonspace.eu with agencies
photo: AA with Getty Images

 

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.