Iran says draft nuclear deal proposal could be ready within days

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran hopes to present a draft proposal for a nuclear agreement with the United States within the next few days.

Araghchi told MSNBC that he expected “the draft of a possible deal” to be ready to be presented to US negotiators “in the next two to three days”, pending confirmation “by my superiors”. “I don’t think it takes long, perhaps in a matter of a week or so, we can start real serious negotiations on the text and come to a conclusion,” he said.

Araqchi said Iran is seeking a “fast deal” to avoid further escalation and warned of the risk of a wider conflict. Araqchi also said that Washington had not demanded a permanent halt to uranium enrichment, which Iran considers a red line, and that Tehran had not offered zero enrichment.

The comments came after United States President Donald Trump warned Iran to reach a deal within 15 days or face unspecified consequences. The warning was issued as the United States expanded its military presence in the Middle East, including the deployment of additional naval forces.

United States and Iranian officials held indirect talks in Geneva earlier this week. Both sides reported limited progress but acknowledged that significant differences remain over key issues, including sanctions relief and the scope of any future agreement.

Source: commonspace.eu with the Financial Times

Related articles

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)