At least 40 dead and 76 wounded in Russian missile strike on Dnipro apartment block

A Russian missile strike on an apartment block in the eastern-central Ukrainian city of Dnipro on Saturday (14 January) has killed at least 40 people and wounded at least 76 people.

At least three children are among the wounded, and at least 14 children are among the injured. 26 people are still missing. This information comes from the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Military Administration, reported by The Kyiv Independent, as of Monday evening (16 January).

72 apartments have been completely destroyed, and at least 230 have been damaged by the Kh-22 missile strike. The Ukrainian Armed Forces have said that they have “no firepower capable of shooting down this type of missile.”

Since the beginning of Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February last year, Moscow has repeatedly targeted critical infrastructure and civilian buildings in Ukraine, including power stations and apartment blocks. The drone and missile strikes - which have intensified since October - yield very little military advantage, and it is believed that such attacks are instead designed to terrorise the Ukrainian population.

Saturday's mass missile strike - the 10th since 10 October last year - comes as western powers debate whether to send heavy weaponry to the Ukrainian Armed Forces. The UK has recently committed to sending 14 Challenger tanks and 30 AS90 self-propelled guns.

Meanwhile, the German government is coming under increasing pressure from Poland and France to permit the re-export of their Leopard 2 tanks. Berlin has said they will make a final decision on this matter in the coming days.

source: commonspace.eu with The Kyiv Independent
photo: AFP / Ukrainian Emergency Service

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Thousands killed and injured as massive earthquake hits Turkey and Syria

Thousands killed and injured as massive earthquake hits Turkey and Syria

A magnitude 7.8 earthquake has struck southern Turkey and Syria, killing and injuring thousands of people. The earthquake, which struck at 04.17 local time on Monday (6 February), was followed 11 minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. The number of dead and injured is rising rapidly. As of 08.15 CET, citing Turkey's Vice President Fuat Oktay, the BBC reports that the death toll in Turkey has risen to 284, with 2,323 people injured. At least 200 people have been killed and over 600 injured in government-held regions of Syria. The number of dead and injured in rebel-held areas is currently unknown. The epicentre was approximately 20km west of the city of Gaziantep, and was felt as far away as Lebanon, Israel and Cyprus. Italy also released a tsunami warning soon after the quake struck, but it has since been lifted. In apocalyptic scenes resembling war-torn Ukraine, footage on social media has shown collapsed buildings and people stuck under rubble calling for help. Rows of tower blocks in major cities across Turkey have been levelled, and in rebel-held northern Syria, the situation is likely to be significantly worsened due to limited access to healthcare and poor living conditions.

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Thousands killed and injured as massive earthquake hits Turkey and Syria

Thousands killed and injured as massive earthquake hits Turkey and Syria

A magnitude 7.8 earthquake has struck southern Turkey and Syria, killing and injuring thousands of people. The earthquake, which struck at 04.17 local time on Monday (6 February), was followed 11 minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. The number of dead and injured is rising rapidly. As of 08.15 CET, citing Turkey's Vice President Fuat Oktay, the BBC reports that the death toll in Turkey has risen to 284, with 2,323 people injured. At least 200 people have been killed and over 600 injured in government-held regions of Syria. The number of dead and injured in rebel-held areas is currently unknown. The epicentre was approximately 20km west of the city of Gaziantep, and was felt as far away as Lebanon, Israel and Cyprus. Italy also released a tsunami warning soon after the quake struck, but it has since been lifted. In apocalyptic scenes resembling war-torn Ukraine, footage on social media has shown collapsed buildings and people stuck under rubble calling for help. Rows of tower blocks in major cities across Turkey have been levelled, and in rebel-held northern Syria, the situation is likely to be significantly worsened due to limited access to healthcare and poor living conditions.