EU engagement with Karabakh conflict settlement under discussion, as Union claims role in the process.

The European Union Ambassador to Azerbaijan Roland Kobia, stated at a press conference in Baku yesterday that the EU was in intensive discussions with both Armenia and Azerbaijan in order to secure their acquiesence with regards to its engagement with the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement process.

Kobia pointed out that the EU Special Representative to the South Caucasus has been designated to engage intensively with the issue, and that proposals had been put to both governments. These proposals suggest a formal role for the European Union in the development of confidence building measures as an integral part of the process of building peace in the region. Ambassador Kobia also outlined EU thinking on the need for European officials to be present on the ground in the conflict zone and clarified that visits to Nagorno-Karabakh do not in themselves constitute a recognition of the self declared Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.

Commonspace.eu political editor said in a comment, "This is a rare statement by an EU official on the framework that the European Union is seeking for its engagement with the Nagorno-Karabakh process. It is clear that in the past, whilst both the governments of Armenia and Azerbaijan have welcomed the EU efforts in support of a settlement in the Karabakh conflict, in practise there was procrastination. The EU position has evolved over the last year and it is now more assertive in  stating a claim for a role in settlement of a conflict involving two countries with whom the Union is currently negotiating Association Agreements, and in a region that it has identified as being of primary importance. Over the next months the issue will come more in focus and we will see some important developments."

source: commonspace.eu

photo: Roland Kobia, EU Ambassador to Azerbaijan (picture courtesy of APA)

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Rescuers in Ukraine are continuing their search for survivors in the wreckage of a big shopping centre hit by Russia on Friday. Sixteen people were killed and 130 injured when two drones hit the busy centre in Kryvyi Rih in quick succession in what is known as a double-tap strike. Four people are still missing. The search and rescue operation could last for another two days. President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the "cynical and despicable" attack in which the second drone targeted emergency workers. The sides exchanged more fire overnight, with Ukrainian attacks said to have killed at least four people in Russia, including two children, and three people reported dead by Kyiv as a result of Russian strikes. The death toll from Friday's attack reached 16 after another body was retrieved from the rubble overnight, said Dnipropetrovsk regional head Oleksandr Hanzha. "We're doing everything possible to speed up... the search and rescue operation," he told Ukrainian TV on Saturday morning. (click image tio read more)

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)