Tension on Armenia-Azerbaijani border remains high

There are reports of persistant gunfire across the whole front of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border throughout the night between Thursday and Friday, although no casualties are reported. The Armenian Defence Minister, Seyran Ohanian, visited the Tavush Region where earlier this week clashes resulted in the death of three Armenian and five Azerbaijani soldiers. Armenian media sources say that the Voskepar-Baganis section of the Ijevan-Noyemberyan highway has been closed since Wednesday for security reasons.

Senior officials from both sides continue making belicose statements, and exchanged accusations against each other. A number of public organisations have also added their voice. In Armenia the Yakrapah organisation of war veterans condemned Azerbaijani aggression and stated its readiness to defend the homeland, whilst in Baku, the Karabakh Liberation Organisation has organised a picket in front of the UN office calling for the liberation of Azerbaijani territory and condemning the inaction of the international community.

A number of countries and international organisations have expressed concern at the the situation. Commonspace.eu political editor said in a comment that "the existing situation is very dangerous, and whilst there is no sign of an immediate escalation it creates very volatile conditions on the line of contact. The absence of a meaningful peace process at the moment further exacerbates the situation."

The Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan  are due to meet in Paris on 18 June. The meeting may help defuse tensions but is unlikely to result in any serious breakthrough. US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton who visited the South Caucasus earlier this week spoke about "new approaches" to the settlement of the conflict but no details of this have as yet been given.

source: commonspace.eu with agencies

photo: A picket organised by the Karabakh Liberation Organisation in front of the UN offices in Baku on 7 June 2012 (oicture courtesy of APA)

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Ramadan begins

Ramadan begins

The Muslim Holy month of Ramadan started on Wednesday, 18 February. For Muslims across the world, the holy month of Ramadan is a time for religious reflection, increased worship, charity and community. Observant Muslims abstain from all forms of food and drink between the hours of dawn and sunset whilst trying to reconnect with their faith. Islam adheres to the lunar calendar. This means that the month of Ramadan begins when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted  The lunar calendar is 10 to 11 days shorter than the modern 365-day Gregorian calendar, which is based on the Earth's rotation around the sun. This difference means Ramadan begins on a different day each year.  In Muslim-majority countries, dedicated state committees check for the crescent moon and officially announce the start of Ramadan. Saudi Arabia, Qatar and several other Gulf countries claimed to have sighted the crescent moon on 17 February and declared 18 February as the first day of Ramadan. However, Egypt, Turkey Jordan and some other countries said the crescent moon was not sighted and therefore announced that Ramadan would begin on Thursday 19 February. This means that the month of fasting will likely end on either Wednesday 18 March or Thursday 19 March, as there are either 29 or 30 days in a lunar month. As a result, Eid al-Fitr, the festival of breaking the fast, is likely to fall on either Thursday 19 March or Friday 20 March. Eid al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan. Muslims tend to celebrate Eid with a small breakfast and give to charity before Eid prayers in congregation.

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)