NATO has said that purchases of US-made weapons and ammunition for Ukraine under the Prioritised Ukraine Requirements List (PURL) programme are continuing, despite earlier reports that some Ukraine-bound military aid could be redirected to the Middle East.
The Washington Post reported on 26 March that the Pentagon was considering whether to divert some weapons originally intended for Ukraine to the Middle East, including air-defence interceptor missiles purchased through the NATO-backed PURL mechanism.
European allies are said to be increasingly concerned about the future of the PURL programme as the war in Iran rapidly depletes American stockpiles.
Speaking on Tuesday (19 May), General Alexus Grynkewich, Commander of US European Command and NATO’s Supreme Allied Commander Europe, said Ukraine still needed “persistent and predictable support” from allies. He added that support for Ukraine through PURL and other mechanisms remained critical. “Regarding PURL, I assure you that everything Allies have paid for is flowing, including air defence interceptors that the Ukrainians so urgently need,” Grynkewich said.
Speaking last month on 16 April, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said Ukraine will continue to receive US weapons paid for by its partners despite the impact of the war in the Middle East. Rutte also said he is optimistic that Ukraine's partners will continue to find the necessary funding to finance purchases of US weapons through the PURL programme.
Source: commonspace.eu with Ukrainska Pravda and The Washington Post