Things are not getting better, so focus now is to try not to let them get worse.

The painfully slow, and exasperatingly frustrating, process of trying to find a solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict continues. Diplomats of the three countries representing the OSCE Minsk Process are again in the region in an effort to find common ground, and in the absence of that, at least to help maintain the cease-fire that was agreed exactly eighteen years ago. Yesterday they were in Yerevan where they met the President, Serzh Sargsyan

The press service of the President of Armenia told ArmInfo News Agency that Serzh Sargsyan and the OSCE MG co-chairs "discussed the current stage and the further steps in the Karabakh peace process."

The three co-Chair are now on their way to Baku where they will meet with the Azerbaijani President, Ilham Aliev.

Expectations from this round of talks are very low, compared to a year ago when the sides were thought to be on the verge of a breakthrough. As one observer put it, "last year the focus was on trying to make things better. This year all efforts are being exerted to try to ensure that things don't get worse."

source: commonspace.eu

photo: The OSCE Minsk Group co-Chairmen with the President of Armenia Serz Sargsyan in Yerevan on 12 May 2012. (picture courtesy of the Press service of the President of Armenia).

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Russian attacks against Ukrainian civilians continue

Rescuers in Ukraine are continuing their search for survivors in the wreckage of a big shopping centre hit by Russia on Friday. Sixteen people were killed and 130 injured when two drones hit the busy centre in Kryvyi Rih in quick succession in what is known as a double-tap strike. Four people are still missing. The search and rescue operation could last for another two days. President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the "cynical and despicable" attack in which the second drone targeted emergency workers. The sides exchanged more fire overnight, with Ukrainian attacks said to have killed at least four people in Russia, including two children, and three people reported dead by Kyiv as a result of Russian strikes. The death toll from Friday's attack reached 16 after another body was retrieved from the rubble overnight, said Dnipropetrovsk regional head Oleksandr Hanzha. "We're doing everything possible to speed up... the search and rescue operation," he told Ukrainian TV on Saturday morning. (click image tio read more)

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)