No surprises in Karabakh. Bako Sahakyan is re-elected President of the self declared Nagorno-Karabakh Republic polling 67% of the votes

There were no surprises in the elections in the self-declared Nagorno-Karabakh Republic held yesterday. First results indicate that the incumbent President, Bako Sahakyan secured more than two two-thirds of the votes cast, whilst the main opposition candidate Vitaly Balasanyan has gathered 31.40 per cent of votes. The third candidate got less than 1%. The official results are expected on Sunday.

Voter turnout was reported high, at 73%. 273 polling stations were set up across the territory, along with one in Yerevan for Karabakh voters living in or visiting Armenia. According to Karabakh's Central Election Commission, some 98,000 people were eligible to vote The day passed relatively smoothly, with few complaints recorded.

Although the voting process has been monitored by observers from several countries, the international community has distanced itself from the process. Catherine Ashton, the European Union's High Representative for Foreign Affairs, said in a statement that the EU "does not recognise the constitutional and legal framework in which [the poll] will be held. These 'elections' should not prejudice the determination of the future status of Nagorno-Karabakh in the negotiated general framework of the peaceful settlement of the conflict". NATO's Special Representative for the Caucasus and Central Asia, James Appathurai, expressed the alliance's position that "Holding such elections is in contradiction with the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict". This view was reiterated by the foreign ministry of Azerbaijan, which stated that the Karabakh polls "damage the negotiation process".

For Armenia, however, and for Nagorno-Karabakh's de facto authorities, an internally consistent and peaceful election under international observation, while unrecognised, is seen as evidence of the latter's capability and legitimacy, and as a vital part of their diplomatic armoury in the dispute with Azerbaijan. The opposition Armenian National Congress stated, that "In the military and diplomatic war with Azerbaijan,  high level and active democratic instituions should be among NK's primary resources, and this will be noticed by the international community ... The latter's reaction to the elections will greatly depend on the quality of the elections".

While Armenian media and political figures have stressed the presence and diversity of the monitoring missions, the Azerbaijani press has concentrated on reporting different countries' statements of non-recognition of the election, and Azerbaijani political commentators' dismissal of it as an attempt "to attach the visibility of democracy to the military regime which exists in Nagorno-Karabakh today".

Commonspace.eu political editor said in a comment: "The elections have changed very little either domestically in Karabakh, or in the context of the ongoing negotiations for the settlement of the conflict. Politics in Karabakh has been largely stagnated over the last five years and thanks to the efforts of opposition candidate Vitaly Balsanyan the election campaign introduced a little excitement in it for the first time in many years. The result was however as expected. It is unlikely that Karabakh will see any major changes in the current context. With the elections out of the way it is hoped that all sides can now focus again on the peace negotiations. The Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan are scheduled to meet in New York in September on the margins of the UN General Assembly, and there is also a possibility they may meet earlier in Europe. These meetings are seen as important to keep the lines of communication between the sides open. They will not however produce the long awaited breakthrough, which requires a more direct engagement by the presidents of the two countries." 

source: commonspace.eu with agencies

photo: The President of the self declared Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, Bako Sahakyan (archive picture)

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Ramadan begins

Ramadan begins

The Muslim Holy month of Ramadan started on Wednesday, 18 February. For Muslims across the world, the holy month of Ramadan is a time for religious reflection, increased worship, charity and community. Observant Muslims abstain from all forms of food and drink between the hours of dawn and sunset whilst trying to reconnect with their faith. Islam adheres to the lunar calendar. This means that the month of Ramadan begins when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted  The lunar calendar is 10 to 11 days shorter than the modern 365-day Gregorian calendar, which is based on the Earth's rotation around the sun. This difference means Ramadan begins on a different day each year.  In Muslim-majority countries, dedicated state committees check for the crescent moon and officially announce the start of Ramadan. Saudi Arabia, Qatar and several other Gulf countries claimed to have sighted the crescent moon on 17 February and declared 18 February as the first day of Ramadan. However, Egypt, Turkey Jordan and some other countries said the crescent moon was not sighted and therefore announced that Ramadan would begin on Thursday 19 February. This means that the month of fasting will likely end on either Wednesday 18 March or Thursday 19 March, as there are either 29 or 30 days in a lunar month. As a result, Eid al-Fitr, the festival of breaking the fast, is likely to fall on either Thursday 19 March or Friday 20 March. Eid al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan. Muslims tend to celebrate Eid with a small breakfast and give to charity before Eid prayers in congregation.

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)