Iranian state media reported on Tuesday (19 May) that Tehran’s latest peace proposal, which US President Donald Trump said was delivered to Washington on Monday (18 May), involves ending hostilities on all fronts including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by the US-Israeli war.
Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran also seeks for sanctions to be lifted, frozen funds to be released, and an end to the US blockade according to IRNA news agency.
The terms as described in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran's previous offer, which US President Donald Trump rejected last week as “garbage".
Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned resumption of attacks after the new proposal was sent, and that there was now a "very good chance" of reaching a deal limiting Iran's nuclear programme.
In a social media post, Trump said the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had requested that he hold off on the attack because "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond.”
Speaking to reporters later on Monday (18 May), he said the United States would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevented Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy," Trump told reporters.
A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the Iranian proposal with Washington.
Source: commonspace.eu with Reuters