Russia increases naval pressure against Ukraine

Russian military warships are preparing for military drills in the Black Sea.  Six Russian warships sailed from the Mediterranean Sea through the Bosphorus onto the Black Sea earlier this week. They will join other elements of the Russian Black Sea Fleet based in Russian occupied Crimea. The drills will partially close parts of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, effectively cutting parts of Ukraine off from open waters

Meanwhile in Belarus, Russia began a 10-day joint military exercise on Thursday, which will continue until 20 February, amid ongoing fears of a Russian invasion of Ukraine. NATO says the Russian military in Belarus consists of about 30,000 troops. This is the highest number of forces deployed there since the Cold War. The United States called the actions in Belarus "escalating" on Wednesday (9 February).

The Ukrainian Ministry for Foreign Affairs said on Thursday that the country "protests" against the decision to "blockade" parts of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. It is an "unjustified restriction on international shipping", which could have "social and economic consequences" for Ukrainian ports. 

"Ukraine is closely working with the partners, primarily those of the Black Sea region, to ensure that such actions of the Russian side receive a proper assessment and response," the ministry said.

Last month, the Russian Ministry of Defense announced the start of military exercises with more than 140 military vessels and more than 10,000 military personnel involved. It is not yet clear exactly when the Russian military exercises on the Black Sea will begin.

 

source: commonspace.eu with agencies
photo: Russian Northern Fleet. TASS

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Pope joins appeal by the Latin and Orthodox Patriarchs of Jerusalem for Peace in Gaza

Pope joins appeal by the Latin and Orthodox Patriarchs of Jerusalem for Peace in Gaza

The Latin and Greek Orthodox Patriarchs of Jerusalem released a joint appeal for peace in Gaza on Tuesday, August 26, after their visit to the territory, saying there is no reason to justify “the deliberate and forcible mass displacement of civilians.” On Wednesday, Pope Leo XIV joined his voice to theirs : “Today I renew a strong appeal both to the parties involved and to the international community, that an end be put to the conflict in the Holy Land, which has caused so much terror, destruction, and death,” said the Pope. He also called for the safe entry of humanitarian aid into Gaza and the protection of civilians. “I appeal for all hostages to be freed, a permanent ceasefire to be reached, the safe entry of humanitarian aid to be facilitated, and humanitarian law to be fully respected—especially the obligation to protect civilians and the prohibitions against collective punishment, the indiscriminate use of force, and the forced displacement of populations,” he added. After the Israeli government announced its security cabinet approved a plan to take control of Gaza City, the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate and the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem have issued a joint statement, with the first line taken from Proverbs 12:28: “In the path of righteousness there is life, and in its pathway there is no death.”

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Pope joins appeal by the Latin and Orthodox Patriarchs of Jerusalem for Peace in Gaza

Pope joins appeal by the Latin and Orthodox Patriarchs of Jerusalem for Peace in Gaza

The Latin and Greek Orthodox Patriarchs of Jerusalem released a joint appeal for peace in Gaza on Tuesday, August 26, after their visit to the territory, saying there is no reason to justify “the deliberate and forcible mass displacement of civilians.” On Wednesday, Pope Leo XIV joined his voice to theirs : “Today I renew a strong appeal both to the parties involved and to the international community, that an end be put to the conflict in the Holy Land, which has caused so much terror, destruction, and death,” said the Pope. He also called for the safe entry of humanitarian aid into Gaza and the protection of civilians. “I appeal for all hostages to be freed, a permanent ceasefire to be reached, the safe entry of humanitarian aid to be facilitated, and humanitarian law to be fully respected—especially the obligation to protect civilians and the prohibitions against collective punishment, the indiscriminate use of force, and the forced displacement of populations,” he added. After the Israeli government announced its security cabinet approved a plan to take control of Gaza City, the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate and the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem have issued a joint statement, with the first line taken from Proverbs 12:28: “In the path of righteousness there is life, and in its pathway there is no death.”