Ukraine makes gains in counteroffensive, Russia blows up smaller dam

Ukraine has liberated a number of villages from Russian occupation over the weekend in a long-awaited counteroffensive that ostensibly began on 4 June. You can read more about this here.

On Sunday evening, Ukrainian Deputy Minister of Defense Hanna Maliar reported that Ukraine had liberated two small settlements to the south of Velyka Novosilka, on the southern front of Russia's ongoing invasion of Ukaine. In an announcement on Telegram, Maliar said Ukraine had liberated Blahodatne and Makarivka. Meanwhile, it was also reported on 11 June that Ukrainian forces had liberated Neskuchne the day before.

Maliar also reported that the Ukrainian forces have advanced by 250 meters near the Berkhove Reservoir area near Bakhmut in Donetsk Oblast, while on the southern front, the army advanced in two directions from 300 to 1,500 meters.

On Monday morning (12 June), Ukraine's Armed Forces also confirmed that they had liberated the village of Storozheve, some three kilometres south of Velyka Novosilka. 

Online sources have also claimed that the nearby settlements of Levadne and Novodonetske have been liberated. Euromaidan Press reports that, during one week of offensive operations in the Velyka Novosilka area, Ukraine liberated 95 square kilometres.

Russia blows up smaller dam in occupied Donetsk Oblast

Meanwhile, in an apparent attempt to slow Ukraine's advance, Russia has reportedly blown up a dam on the Mokri Yaly River in the Donetsk Oblast, causing flooding on both banks. Valeriy Shershen, spokesperson for Ukraine’s Tavria military sector, said this "does not affect" Ukraine's operations in the area.

This comes after the collapse of the Kakhovka dam on Tuesday last week (6 June), widely believed to have been the result of a deliberate Russian attempt to prevent a Ukrainian offensive across the Dnipro river, causing massive flooding across some 600 square kilometres, destroying thousands of homes. You can read more about this here.

On Monday morning (12 June), it was announced that the International Criminal Court in The Hague had launched an investigation into the collapse of the Kakhova dam on 6 June.

source: commonspace.eu with agencies
photo: AFP via Getty Images 

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.