Ramiz Mehdiyev fires a shot across the bows on Karabakh

In a rare intervention on the topic of the settlement of the Karabakh conflict, the veteran head of the Azerbaijani presidential administration, Ramiz Mehdiyev has published an article in which he says that the current authorities of Armenia, headed by Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, are not interested in continuing negotiations on a peaceful settlement of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict, and are trying to shift the responsibility in this matter to others. In the article Ramiz Mehdiyev expressed hope that "the Armenian leadership will realise all the advantages that the country can get from settling the conflict and will make the necessary steps to achieve a long-awaited peace."

The article was released by the official Azertac news agency on Tuesday (4 June) and widely disseminated by the Azerbaijani media.

The article examines the background to the Karabakh conflict, and the various developments over the years to try to resolve it.

In the article, the head of the Azerbaijani presidential administration says that Baku is ready to give security guarantees to the Armenian population of Nagorno- Karabakh , if Armenia withdraws its armed forces from the Azerbaijan territory it occupies. Mehdiyev called on the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs to intensify efforts to achieve, first of all, the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the return of Azerbaijanis to their homes.

Commonspace.eu political editor said in a comment that Ramiz Mehdiyev is the grand seigneur of the Azerbaijani body politic. He does not make public comments often, and on Karabakh his public pronouncements are even rarer.

"The article published on 4 June is therefore interesting both for its timing and its content. The new administration in Yerevan has been installed for more than a year, and in this period formal and informal meetings between the leaders - president Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan and prime minister Nikol Pashinyan of  Armenia - have raised the hope that enough progress has been made for more substantive negotiations on the resolution of the conflict to start. The international mediators - the diplomats from France, Russia and the United States who chair the so-called Minsk group - were in the region last week trying to agree a timetable for the next meetings and steps. However as they were preparing to leave the region incidents erupted on the line of contact, where things have been reasonably quiet in the last year, resulting in two fatalities, one on each side. The circumstances remain contested by the two sides, but the incidents in any case have laid a cloud over the ongoing peace efforts. The article appears to be timed to refocus attention back to the negotiations.

The article, written in overall measured language, has three key messages: first it calls on the Armenian leadership to assume responsibility for the negotiations and stop trying to use delaying tactics; the second is a reiteration of the willingness of the Azerbaijani government to give security guarantees to the Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh. This has been said before, and Mehdiyev does not go into detail in how the Azerbaijani side proposes to do so, but the highlighting of this issue is significant. Finally Mehdiyev goes to great length to remind the Armenians of the benefit of peace, citing a recent report commissioned by the European Union on the economic benefits of peace. Nothing in the article is revolutionary, but the timing, tone and emphasis of the article, and the fact that it was published under the signature of Ramiz Mehdiyev, means that it requires proper attention."

related content: After fatal shootings on the frontline, Baku and Yerevan exchange diplomatic fire

related content: Peace in Karabakh will give a high economic dividend, new study shows

source: commonspace.eu with AzerTac News agency (Baku) and Haqqin.az

photo: Ramiz Mehdiyev (archive picture)

 

 

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

 Pope Leo XIV has begun the first overseas trip of his pontificate, a six day visit to Türkiye and Lebanon, which started yesterday (27 November) and ends on Tuesday (2 December). According to Vatican Radio, the visit "carries a strong ecumenical character and places interreligious dialogue at its centre. It will also be a moment of closeness to Christian communities and local populations across the region".   During nearly a week in the region, Pope Leo XIV will meet civil and religious authorities, visit mosques and ancient churches, pray at Beirut’s port in memory of the victims of the 2020 explosion, and hold private meetings with Presidents Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Joseph Aoun.   A highlight of the visit will be a visit Nicaea, where the Pope will mark the anniversary of the Council of Nicaea. Christians of many traditions recognise the Council of Nicaea as a foundation of shared faith. One of the most anticipated moments will be the Pope’s encounter with Lebanese youth in Bkerké, at the Maronite Patriarchate, a meeting expected to carry strong messages of hope in the Jubilee Year. A central event will be the ecumenical celebration in İznik, where the Pope and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew will walk together toward the ruins of the Basilica of St Neophytos. The prayer, held before icons of Christ and the Council, will conclude with the lighting of a candle—a symbolic gesture of unity. The journey will also highlight interreligious engagement.   Memorable moments are expected throughout the trip: a wreath at Atatürk’s mausoleum, prayer inside the Blue Mosque, Mass at Istanbul’s Volkswagen Arena, the planting of a cedar at the presidential palace in Beirut, and prayer at the tomb of St Charbel in Lebanon. The Vatican said that "Pope Leo XIV’s pilgrimage to Türkiye and Lebanon aims to offer a voice of peace, unity, and hope at the heart of the Middle East."

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

 Pope Leo XIV has begun the first overseas trip of his pontificate, a six day visit to Türkiye and Lebanon, which started yesterday (27 November) and ends on Tuesday (2 December). According to Vatican Radio, the visit "carries a strong ecumenical character and places interreligious dialogue at its centre. It will also be a moment of closeness to Christian communities and local populations across the region".   During nearly a week in the region, Pope Leo XIV will meet civil and religious authorities, visit mosques and ancient churches, pray at Beirut’s port in memory of the victims of the 2020 explosion, and hold private meetings with Presidents Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Joseph Aoun.   A highlight of the visit will be a visit Nicaea, where the Pope will mark the anniversary of the Council of Nicaea. Christians of many traditions recognise the Council of Nicaea as a foundation of shared faith. One of the most anticipated moments will be the Pope’s encounter with Lebanese youth in Bkerké, at the Maronite Patriarchate, a meeting expected to carry strong messages of hope in the Jubilee Year. A central event will be the ecumenical celebration in İznik, where the Pope and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew will walk together toward the ruins of the Basilica of St Neophytos. The prayer, held before icons of Christ and the Council, will conclude with the lighting of a candle—a symbolic gesture of unity. The journey will also highlight interreligious engagement.   Memorable moments are expected throughout the trip: a wreath at Atatürk’s mausoleum, prayer inside the Blue Mosque, Mass at Istanbul’s Volkswagen Arena, the planting of a cedar at the presidential palace in Beirut, and prayer at the tomb of St Charbel in Lebanon. The Vatican said that "Pope Leo XIV’s pilgrimage to Türkiye and Lebanon aims to offer a voice of peace, unity, and hope at the heart of the Middle East."