Soldiers killed and UN peacekeepers wounded in separate attacks in Mali

On Friday (25 June), 13 UN peacekeepers – 12 Germans and one Belgian – were wounded in a car bomb attack in north-eastern Mali, the UN mission MINUSMA wrote on Twitter, while Mali's army reported at least six of its soldiers were killed in a separate attack in the centre of the country.

The attack in the north-east targeted a temporary base set up by the peacekeepers to secure a towing operation of a mission vehicle near the village of Ichagara in the Gao region, where Islamist insurgents linked to Al Qaeda and Islamic State are active.

A MINUSMA spokesperson revised the number of wounded downward, announcing earlier that 15 peacekeepers had been injured and evacuated.

Germany's defence minister, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, said in a statement that three of the German soldiers were severely wounded. Two of them are in a stable condition whilst the third is still in surgery, she added.

The attack was condemned by Paris and Berlin. The German foreign minister, Heiko Maas, said the "vile attack once again underscores how important it is that we stand up against terrorists". France also condemned the attack, whilst reaffirming "its full support for MINUSMA, which plays an essential role in the stabilisation of Mali" and "welcomes the commitment of the countries which contribute to it", stated the French ministry of foreign affairs.

Also on 25 June, at least six Malian soldiers were killed and one wounded in a separate attack in Boni in the neighbouring region of Mopti, the Malian army said in a statement.

These strikes come just days after a 21 June car bomb attack on the French forces of Operation Barkhane whilst on a reconnaissance patrol in the central Malian town of Gossi, which injured six soldiers and four civilians.

 

source: commonspace.eu with AFP (Paris), France24 (Île-de-France) and agencies
photo: German UN blue helmets; Liesa Johannssen

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.