EU unveils 10th round of sanctions against Russia

The European Union has announced a 10th round of sanctions to be placed on Russia as a result of its continuing full-scale invasion and occupation of Ukraine.

In a statement released on Wednesday (15 February), EU Vice-President Josep Borrell said, "Until today, Putin is escalating this illegal aggression, weaponising winter, food and hunger. Russia continues to show its inhuman face with brutal missile terror against civilian targets. The European Union has so far reacted with unprecedented support to Ukraine and nine sanctions packages. They are taking a heavy toll on the Russian economy and on the Kremlin’s ability to finance its aggression."

In the latest round of "significant" sanctions, which the EU aims to have in place by the one-year anniversary of Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine on 24 February, the European Commission is proposing €11bn of export bans "to deprive the Russian economy of critical technology and industrial goods".

"For maximum impact, we are targeting many industrial goods that Russia needs, and that it cannot get through backfilling by third countries. Vital goods such as electronics, specialized vehicles, machine parts, spare parts for trucks and jet engines. And we are targeting goods for the construction sector which can be directed to Russia's military, such as antennas or cranes," outlined President Ursula von der Leyen.

Iran also falling under sanctions over its support of Russia

The European Commission is also proposing to "further restrict the export of dual use goods and advanced tech goods", namely imposing controls on 47 new electronic components that can be used in Russian weapons systems, including drones, missiles, helicopters.

To prevent Russia obtaining the restricted goods via alternative routes, for the first time the EU will add "third country entities" to the Russia dual use sanctions. "Iran's Revolutionary Guards have been providing Russia with Shahed drones to attack civilian infrastructure in Ukraine," the statement read, announcing that the EU has therefore added seven Iranian entities to a complete ban on selling sensitive items to Russia.

Propagandists and oligarchs also targeted

The third and fourth areas to be targeted in the next round of EU sanctions against Russia concern propagandists and oligarchs. Josep Borrell announced that he has submitted a proposal sanctioning "almost 100 additional individuals and entities for their role in undermining sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine", including those responsible for "military activities, for political decisions, propaganda, and disinformation".

Finally, President von der Leyen said that the EU will "will track oligarchs trying to hide or to sell their assets to escape sanctions". She added that the European Commission and EU member states would conduct an overview of Russian central bank assets frozen in the EU to establish their value and location. She said that this was "crucial in view of the possible use of public Russian assets to fund reconstruction in Ukraine".

source: commmonspace.eu with the European Union
photo: SchengenVisaInfo

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

Pope Leo XIV has begun the first overseas trip of his pontificate, a six-day visit to Türkiye and Lebanon, which started yesterday (27 November) and ends on Tuesday (2 December). According to Vatican Radio, the visit "carries a strong ecumenical character and places interreligious dialogue at its centre. It will also be a moment of closeness to Christian communities and local populations across the region".   During nearly a week in the region, Pope Leo XIV will meet civil and religious authorities, visit mosques and ancient churches, pray at Beirut’s port in memory of the victims of the 2020 explosion, and hold private meetings with Presidents Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Joseph Aoun.   A highlight of the visit will be a visit to Nicaea, where the Pope will mark the anniversary of the Council of Nicaea. Christians of many traditions recognise the Council of Nicaea as a foundation of shared faith. One of the most anticipated moments will be the Pope’s encounter with Lebanese youth in Bkerké, at the Maronite Patriarchate, a meeting expected to carry strong messages of hope in the Jubilee Year. A central event will be the ecumenical celebration in İznik, where the Pope and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew will walk together toward the ruins of the Basilica of St Neophytos. The prayer, held before icons of Christ and the Council, will conclude with the lighting of a candle—a symbolic gesture of unity. The journey will also highlight interreligious engagement.   Memorable moments are expected throughout the trip: a wreath at Atatürk’s mausoleum, prayer inside the Blue Mosque, Mass at Istanbul’s Volkswagen Arena, the planting of a cedar at the presidential palace in Beirut, and prayer at the tomb of St Charbel in Lebanon. The Vatican said that "Pope Leo XIV’s pilgrimage to Türkiye and Lebanon aims to offer a voice of peace, unity, and hope at the heart of the Middle East."

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

Pope's visit to Türkiye and Lebanon has a strong ecumenical character, and places interreligious dialogue at its centre

Pope Leo XIV has begun the first overseas trip of his pontificate, a six-day visit to Türkiye and Lebanon, which started yesterday (27 November) and ends on Tuesday (2 December). According to Vatican Radio, the visit "carries a strong ecumenical character and places interreligious dialogue at its centre. It will also be a moment of closeness to Christian communities and local populations across the region".   During nearly a week in the region, Pope Leo XIV will meet civil and religious authorities, visit mosques and ancient churches, pray at Beirut’s port in memory of the victims of the 2020 explosion, and hold private meetings with Presidents Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Joseph Aoun.   A highlight of the visit will be a visit to Nicaea, where the Pope will mark the anniversary of the Council of Nicaea. Christians of many traditions recognise the Council of Nicaea as a foundation of shared faith. One of the most anticipated moments will be the Pope’s encounter with Lebanese youth in Bkerké, at the Maronite Patriarchate, a meeting expected to carry strong messages of hope in the Jubilee Year. A central event will be the ecumenical celebration in İznik, where the Pope and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew will walk together toward the ruins of the Basilica of St Neophytos. The prayer, held before icons of Christ and the Council, will conclude with the lighting of a candle—a symbolic gesture of unity. The journey will also highlight interreligious engagement.   Memorable moments are expected throughout the trip: a wreath at Atatürk’s mausoleum, prayer inside the Blue Mosque, Mass at Istanbul’s Volkswagen Arena, the planting of a cedar at the presidential palace in Beirut, and prayer at the tomb of St Charbel in Lebanon. The Vatican said that "Pope Leo XIV’s pilgrimage to Türkiye and Lebanon aims to offer a voice of peace, unity, and hope at the heart of the Middle East."