EU hails formation of power sharing government in Yemen

"The  announcement of a new Yemeni Government as part of the implementation of the Riyadh Agreement is a positive step towards a comprehensive political solution for the country", the European Union said in a statement on Saturday (19 December). "The new government will have challenging tasks ahead and will need to take important and courageous decisions for the sake of Yemen and all of its people. In this regard, the presence of more Yemeni women in political office and the meaningful participation of women in governance would be important", the statement added.

The European Union appreciates the facilitation efforts of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and encourages all actors to ensure a swift and complete implementation of all provisions of the Riyadh Agreement.

The European Union is committed to the sovereignty, independence, and territorial integrity of Yemen, and will continue supporting efforts towards a peaceful resolution of the conflict. We encourage all parties to the conflict to engage constructively with the UN Special Envoy towards a nationwide ceasefire and resumption of political talks, the statement said.

Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi announced on Friday the formation of a power-sharing government, in accordance with the terms of the Riyadh Agreement jointly signed with the Southern Transitional Council (STC) in November last year.

He confirmed the appointment of Moein Abdel-Malik as prime minister and Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak as minister of foreign affairs.

“The government consists of 24 portfolios divided equally between the north and south, as stipulated in the Riyadh Agreement,” Hadi said. The announcement was made on Yemeni state TV late on Friday night.

The November 2019 Riyadh agreement set out a framework for resolving the dispute between Hadi’s government and the STC over control of the south, which had escalated into military clashes in August 2019. The government has also been at war with Iran-backed Houthi rebels, who control Sanaa, since 2014.

Under the agreement, which was reached with the support and encouragement of Saudi Arabia, the government and the STC agreed to form a unity government that fairly represents the interests of all Yemenis, irrespective of sect, ethnicity or religion.

source: commonspace.eu with Arab News (Jeddah), Al Jazeirah (Doha) and agencies
photo: The Yemeni Army on parade (archive picture)

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

Taking forward the work on landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus - report issued after consultation process

LINKS Europe has just published a report on the future of landmine action advocacy in the South Caucasus based on a consultation process with stakeholders between June 2023 and February 2024. The report focuses on the regional campaign "Landmine Free South Caucasus", which was implemented from October 2018 to December 2023. A formal consultation process was held from 15 January to 15 February 2024, through an open call to which anyone could reply. In the course of the consultation process LINKS Europe held 22 in-person meetings, 12 online meetings. and received written submissions from several partners. The report makes 12 recommendations on how the work can be organised in the future.