Theme

Defence

Stories related to defence, strategy and cooperation. 

Editor's choice
Analysis
Mehman Aliyev on what "peace" can look like for Ukraine

Mehman Aliyev on what "peace" can look like for Ukraine

In this analysis,  veteran Azerbaijani journalist and political commentator, Mehman Aliyev, draws lessons from the 1994 Armenia-Azerbaijan ceasefire, to assess what can be possible impact of ceasefire in Ukraine. According to diplomats, a negotiating format or a partial ceasefire based on a modified version of the twenty-eight points is entirely plausible in 2026. A frozen line of contact, monitored by international mechanisms while talks drag on, is more likely than a fully implemented peace treaty by early that same year. “This document opens a window,” said political commentator Farid Gakhramanov. “Whether it means the end of the war or the beginning of a new frozen conflict will depend on the decisions of Moscow, Kyiv, Washington, and Brussels — not on the document itself.” (You can read the full analysis by clicking the image)
Editor's choice
News
Germany will soon have the largest conventional army in Europe, but there will be no conscription

Germany will soon have the largest conventional army in Europe, but there will be no conscription

The Bundeswehr currently has around 182,000 troops. The new military service model aims to increase that number by 20,000 over the next year, rising to between 255,000 and 260,000 over the next 10 years, supplemented by approximately 200,000 reservists. From next year, all 18-year-old men and women will be sent a questionnaire to assess their interest and willingness to join the armed forces. It will be mandatory for men and voluntary for women. From July 2027 all men aged 18 will also have to take a medical exam to assess their fitness for duty. If the government's targets are not met, a form of compulsory enlistment could be considered by parliament. If war were to break out, the military would be able to draw on the questionnaires and medical exams for potential recruits. Defence Minister Boris Pistorius said despite the new military service plan there was "no cause for concern... no reason for fear". "The more capable of deterrence and defence our armed forces are, through armament through training and through personnel, the less likely it is that we will become a party to a conflict at all," Pistorius said. Defence spending in Germany tumbled after the end of the Cold War, while conscription was suspended in 2011. Given its past, Germany has long been shy of showing military might, but earlier this year Friedrich Merz announced that the rule for German defence "now has to be whatever it takes", following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Around 300,000 young men per year will be affected. The defense minister argues that this is the only way for the Bundeswehr to get an idea of who could be called up in the event of a conflict.

Filter archive

Publication date
Editor's choice
News
Russia expanding military footprint in Africa while skirting sanctions

Russia expanding military footprint in Africa while skirting sanctions

Russia is expanding its military footprint in Africa, delivering sophisticated weaponry to sub-Saharan conflict zones where a Kremlin-controlled armed force is on the rise. Skirting sanctions imposed by Western nations, Moscow is using cargo ships to send tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery and other high-value equipment to West Africa, according to the Associated Press.
Editor's choice
News
White House confirms Trump's attendance at NATO summit in The Hague

White House confirms Trump's attendance at NATO summit in The Hague

US President Donald Trump will attend the NATO summit in The Hague later this month, the White House announced on Tuesday evening (3 June). Trump had previously left it unclear whether he would attend the conference of the Western military alliance in the Netherlands. However, he had informed Prime Minister Dick Schoof (now outgoing) of his attendance, which the Dutch government had previously announced.
Editor's choice
News
Israel accepts US proposal for temporary Gaza ceasefire

Israel accepts US proposal for temporary Gaza ceasefire

Israel has accepted a new U.S. proposal for a temporary ceasefire with Hamas, the White House said on Thursday. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters that Israel “backed and supported” the new proposal. Hamas officials gave the Israeli-approved draft a cool response, but said they wanted to study the proposal more closely before giving a formal answer.
Editor's choice
News
Syria and Israel in direct talks focused on security

Syria and Israel in direct talks focused on security

Israel and Syria are in direct contact and have in recent weeks held face-to-face meetings aimed at calming tensions and preventing conflict in the border region between the two longtime foes, according to an exclusive Reuters report. The contacts mark a significant development in ties between states that have been on opposite sides of conflict in the Middle East for decades, as the U.S. encourages the new Islamist rulers in Damascus to establish relations with Israel and Israel eases its bombardment of Syria.
Editor's choice
News
Russia, Ukraine complete record prisoner exchange amidst Russian barrage of drones against Ukraine

Russia, Ukraine complete record prisoner exchange amidst Russian barrage of drones against Ukraine

Russia announced on Sunday it had exchanged another 303 Ukrainian prisoners of war for the same number of Russian soldiers held by Kyiv, the last phase of the largest-ever such swap between the warring countries. Russia and Ukraine have over three days "carried out the exchange of 1,000 people for 1,000 people", the defence ministry said. Meanwhile,  US President Donald Trump called his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin "crazy" on Sunday after Moscow launched a deadly barrage of drones against Ukraine.
Editor's choice
News
Putin makes first visit to Kursk since Russia recaptured region

Putin makes first visit to Kursk since Russia recaptured region

Russian President Vladimir Putin visited Kursk for the first time since Moscow claimed to have completely recaptured the region following a surprise incursion by Ukrainian forces last year, Russian state news agency TASS reported on Wednesday. Putin met with municipal leaders in the city of Kurchatov and visited the Kursk nuclear power plant, which is currently under construction, the Kremlin said, according to TASS.