European Union accused Russia of cyber attacks

The European Union and its Member States strongly denounced malicious cyber activities against it originating in Russia. "We urge the Russian Federation to adhere to the norms of responsible state behaviour in cyberspace", the EU and its member states said in a statement on Friday.

The EU has accused Russia of targeted cyber attacks on several Member States. The 27-member bloc demanded that the "malicious cyber activities" stop immediately, and urged Moscow to take responsibility. The High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrell said in a statement issued on Friday (24 September) that "such activities are unacceptable as they seek to threaten our integrity and security, democratic values and principles and the core functioning of our democracies."

A Russian group called Ghostwriter, which is is well-known for spreading disinformation, is considered responsible for the cyber attacks on members of parliament, government officials, politicians, journalists and civil society organisations. The hackers seek access to computer systems, personal accounts and data.

The European Union previously  sanctioned a group of Russian hackers for breaking into the computer network of the German Bundestag in 2015. Data was stolen and even Chancellor Angela Merkel's email account was not safe.

 

source: commonspace.eu with agencies

Related articles

Editor's choice
News
Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell tells the European Parliament that the situation in Afghanistan was critical, but the EU will remain engaged

Borrell underlined that the European Union will make every effort to support the peace process and to remain a committed partner to the Afghan people. "Of course, we will have to take into account the evolving situation, but disengagement is not an option.  We are clear on that: there is no alternative to a negotiated political settlement, through inclusive peace talks.
Editor's choice
News
Burkina Faso continues the trend of military coups in West Africa

Burkina Faso continues the trend of military coups in West Africa

The president of Burkina Faso – Roch Kaboré - has been overthrown by a group of soldiers in the third military coup in West Africa in eight months. In a televised broadcast on Monday coup leaders announced the closure of land and air borders from midnight, dissolved the government and the National Assembly and "suspended" the Constitution. A curfew was also decreed, from 9 pm to 5 am, throughout the country, "until further notice".

Popular

Editor's choice
News
Burkina Faso continues the trend of military coups in West Africa

Burkina Faso continues the trend of military coups in West Africa

The president of Burkina Faso – Roch Kaboré - has been overthrown by a group of soldiers in the third military coup in West Africa in eight months. In a televised broadcast on Monday coup leaders announced the closure of land and air borders from midnight, dissolved the government and the National Assembly and "suspended" the Constitution. A curfew was also decreed, from 9 pm to 5 am, throughout the country, "until further notice".