NATO says US weapons purchases for Ukraine under PURL are continuing

NATO has said that purchases of US-made weapons and ammunition for Ukraine under the Prioritised Ukraine Requirements List (PURL) programme are continuing, despite earlier reports that some Ukraine-bound military aid could be redirected to the Middle East.

The Washington Post reported on 26 March that the Pentagon was considering whether to divert some weapons originally intended for Ukraine to the Middle East, including air-defence interceptor missiles purchased through the NATO-backed PURL mechanism.

European allies are said to be increasingly concerned about the future of the PURL programme as the war in Iran rapidly depletes American stockpiles.

Speaking on Tuesday (19 May), General Alexus Grynkewich, Commander of US European Command and NATO’s Supreme Allied Commander Europe, said Ukraine still needed “persistent and predictable support” from allies. He added that support for Ukraine through PURL and other mechanisms remained critical. “Regarding PURL, I assure you that everything Allies have paid for is flowing, including air defence interceptors that the Ukrainians so urgently need,” Grynkewich said.

Speaking last month on 16 April, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said Ukraine will continue to receive US weapons paid for by its partners despite the impact of the war in the Middle East. Rutte also said he is optimistic that Ukraine's partners will continue to find the necessary funding to finance purchases of US weapons through the PURL programme.

Source: commonspace.eu with Ukrainska Pravda and The Washington Post

Related articles

Popular

Editor's choice
Interview
Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Thursday Interview: Murad Muradov

Today, commonspace.eu starts a new regular weekly series. THURSDAY INTERVIEW, conducted by Lauri Nikulainen, will host  persons who are thinkers, opinion shapers, and implementors in their countries and spheres. We start the series with an interview with Murad Muradov, a leading person in Azerbaijan's think tank community. He is also the first co-chair of the Action Committee for a new Armenian-Azerbaijani Dialogue. Last September he made history by being the first Azerbaijani civil society activist to visit Armenia after the 44 day war, and the start of the peace process. Speaking about this visit Murad Muradov said: "My experience was largely positive. My negative expectations luckily didn’t play out. The discussions were respectful, the panel format bringing together experts from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey was particularly valuable during the NATO Rose-Roth Seminar in Yerevan, and media coverage, while varied in tone, remained largely constructive. Some media outlets though attempted to represent me as more of a government mouthpiece than an independent expert, which was totally misleading.  Overall, I see these initiatives as important steps in rebuilding trust and normalising professional engagement. The fact that soon a larger Azerbaijani civil society visits to Armenia followed, reinforces the sense that this process is moving in the right direction." (click the image to read the interview in full)